Rain, hail and flash floods – what your insurance policy will and won’t cover

As South Africans, we rarely complain about rain and rightly so, as droughts have terrorised many parts of our country during the last few years. However, the unfortunate truth is that rain, hail and lightning storms can potentially cause horrendous damage to our properties, vehicles and belongings, and therefore it’s vital to be prepared and clued up on what your insurance policy will and won’t pay.

At Cornerstone Insurance Brokers we have always been dedicated to ensuring the happiness and safety of our clients and their insured assets, which is why we have put together some important aspects regarding short-term cover for rain, hail and lightning damage.

Rain and hail damage

  • Home and household insurance

If you sustain water damage to your property due to rain or hail, your insurance policy will most likely cover any resulting damage but will not cover damage relating to maintenance. For example, if a roof leak is left untreated and a massive rain or hail storm causes the ceiling to collapse, damaging your furniture and television, your insurance policy will pay for the damage to the furniture and television, but not for the ceiling and roof repairs.

  • Vehicles

It’s uncommon that rain alone will cause major damage to your vehicle, but hail on the other hand, can wreak havoc on your car. With hail cover, it’s imperative that you read your policy document very carefully, as some insurers exclude hail damage from cover and others might only provide conditional cover. Make sure that you know and understand how your vehicle is covered for hail damage and adjust your policy if the cover is not adequate for you.

Lightning damage

If you live in an area prone to electric rain storms, you might have seen the damage that a strong electric surge can do to your appliances and electronic belongings. Here, cover is usually quite comprehensive and simple. If any of your belongings suffer damage due to a lightning surge, your insurance policy will cover those damages. However, you will have to provide the insurer with a damage report. These reports are usually compiled by electricians or certified service providers and help insurers to determine the scope of damage.

Flash floods

Last year and the year before, parts of South Africa suffered massive flash floods, leaving hundreds of people with heavily damaged property and vehicles. Fortunately, most insurance policies will cover you in full for any damage caused by floods.

If you are unsure whether your insurance will cover you against rain, hail or lightning damage or if you need advice on moving insurers, get in touch with us today and let our expert advisers guide you through the tricky world of short-term insurance. Also, be sure to follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn for more interesting content and fun photos and remember to share this article with friends and family.

, , , , , ,